The Gray Squirrel Society is a teen-centered, online community to develop leadership and life skills.
Each week of our June session will include opportunities to engage and explore topics like communication and decision making, along with familiar Schoolhouse activities like Growth Rings, Would You Rathers, and craft projects. This new program offers an exciting mixture of activities your teen can do on their own time, along with live discussion groups designed to explore individual strengths and leadership styles, practice skills, and build connections and community.
In this four-week online program, teens 13-17 will focus on four areas:
- Connecting with people
- Connecting with nature
- Connecting with yourself
- Connecting with your community
Our mentors, Meg and Marty, have decades of combined experience and are here to support your teen’s growth through discussion, connection, and plenty of Schoolhouse activities.
- Age: 13-17 years old (must be 13 by August 31, 2020.)
- Dates: Our June session will run June 8th through July 2nd, 2020.
- Partial Registrations: This is a four-week program designed to build week after week while allowing participants to do many of the activities on their own time. Because of this design, we won’t be offering partial week or prorated registrations.
- Experience: Your teen does not need to have been a Schoolhouse camper or CIT before.
- Accessibility: This program is entirely online and your teen will need access to a phone, tablet, or computer with the capability of live video conferencing and access to the internet.
- Commitment: Many of the activities each week will be able to be completed on your teen’s own schedule. We do ask that they commit to attending hour-long live discussion sessions on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Participants can choose to attend either the morning (10 am) or afternoon session (3 pm) on these days.
- Cost: $200 for the four-week session, scholarships are available.
- Scholarship Deadline: The deadline for scholarship applications is Thursday, June 4th, 2020. We will notify scholarship awardees by June 5th via email. This will allow time to register before the program begins on June 8th.
- Registration Deadline: The registration deadline for this program is Sunday, June 7th, 2020.
- To register, please look for the blue sidebar and click ‘Gray Squirrel Society: June Session’ or click here.
Please note: This program is entirely online. Your teen will need access to a phone, tablet, or computer with the capability of live video conferencing and access to the internet.
Please review our Online Program Policies before registering; by completing your registration you are accepting these policies.
A day in the life of a Gray Squirrel Society Member can look how you want it to!
Any time after 9:00 AM, participants can log in and view the activities and challenges for the day. The timeline for most activities is flexible within the week. Occasionally, an activity will need to be completed by a specific date, but we will make those expectations clear in advance.
After completing a challenge or activity, the participant will record and upload a short video sharing the results of the challenge – information they’ve learned, things they’ve made, or anything else they’d like to share. Gray Squirrels and mentors will be able to watch the videos, respond with comments or questions, and post our own videos.
Live, online meet-ups will take place on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. We expect each participant to attend either the 10:00 am or the 3:00 pm group. Teens can choose between morning and afternoon each time, no need to commit to the same time slot the entire session!
Each week will have a main theme, and we’ll highlight special topics within those themes such as communication, Leave No Trace, self-care, decision-making, empathy, random acts of kindness, and more.
If you have any questions about this program, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at email@example.com.