If you’re wondering what your camper has been up to this week, here are some questions to get the conversation started…
GNARLY STUMP CAMP (Pat’s Group)
- Your group had the opportunity to do some tree climbing. What kind of tree did you climb? How high did you climb? What are the safety rules for tree climbing?
- In order to make fire building easier, people used simple machines to help make the spark. What are two different ways to start a fire? (Hint: bow drill, quartz and steel) How does each work?
- On Tuesday, you got to take a special tour of the mill led by the park staff. What do you remember about the history of the mill? What kinds of simple machines does the mill have? How does it work?
TURTLE CAMP (Carson’s Group)
- This week is all about simple machines and how people have used them. What did you learn how to use that is helpful to start a fire with? (Hint: bow drill) How does it work? Did you learn about any other primitive fire starting techniques?
- Your group got to take a special tour of the mill led by the park staff. What is a mill used for? Do you remember any of the names of the parts? What can you tell me about the history of the mill?
- During water time on Monday, we caught a northern water snake. Did you touch it? How can you tell the difference between a northern water snake and a copperhead?