Before completing your purchase you must agree to be bound by our policies as listed here. Policies are subject to all applicable laws.
- I permit my child to participate in all Schoolhouse of Wonder (“Schoolhouse”) activities.
- Assumption of Risk and Indemnity: Schoolhouse conducts outdoor education and recreation programs that may take place in public parks and unimproved areas with natural woods and water features. Schoolhouse provides age-appropriate safety instruction regarding outdoor skills, plants, wildlife, and supervised activities, however, there are always risks inherent to participating in such activities. I understand that Schoolhouse activities have inherent risks, and I hereby assume all risks and hazards incident to my participation/my child’s participation in all Schoolhouse activities and recreation activities provided by third-party vendors. On behalf of myself and my child, I further waive, release, absolve, indemnify and agree to hold harmless Schoolhouse of Wonder and its employees, supervisors, organizers, officers, directors, participants, volunteers, vendors, land use partners (including but not limited to City of Durham Parks and Recreation, Wake County Parks, Recreation, and Open Spaces, North Carolina Division of Parks and Recreation, Triangle Land Conservancy), as well as all persons or parents transporting participants to and from activities, from any legal claims, liabilities, damages and costs for any physical injury or damage to my personal property sustained during my use of Schoolhouse property and/or my participation/my child’s participation in any Schoolhouse activities.
- Personal Items: I agree that my child will not bring hand-held games, tablets, ipods, other electronics or valuables to Schoolhouse programs. I understand that Schoolhouse is not responsible for any personal items lost, stolen or damaged at its programs.
- Payment: Payment in full is due at time of registration. Your child is not considered fully registered until full payment is received.
- Cancellations and Non-Attendance: Due to commitments to staff and materials prior to the start of the season, no tuition refunds will be made in connection with late cancellations, late arrivals, early withdrawals, vacations, or camp dismissals due to unacceptable behavior. There will be no reduction or refund of fees for the discontinuation of a scheduled event or camp season due to illness, injury, acts of God, natural disasters, acts of war, terrorism, fire, pandemics or epidemics. Missed days are not refunded or transferred (e.g. missed Friday and want to come back next week for a day). Schoolhouse reserves the right to apply any credit due to other outstanding balances.Schoolhouse offers the following refund/credit options upon written request and in accordance with the following timelines:
- 90+ days prior to the first day of camp: A $25 administrative fee will be charged per child, per camp ($10 fee per child, per Discovery Day). Minus this fee, either a full refund or a dollar-for-dollar credit is available. Please note that all dollar-for-dollar credits expire at the end of the current calendar year, regardless of the date granted.
- Less than 90, but more than 14 days prior to the first day of camp: A $25 administrative fee will be charged per child, per camp ($10 fee per child, per Discovery Day). Minus this fee, a dollar-for-dollar credit is available. Please note that all dollar-for-dollar credits expire at the end of the current calendar year, regardless of the date granted.
- Less than 14 days prior to the first day of camp: No refunds or credits are available. Instead, your registration cost (minus a $50 administrative fee) will be converted into a tax-deductible donation to the Schoolhouse of Wonder scholarship fund.
- You may turn all or part of any refund or credit into a tax-deductible donation.
- Registration Changes or Transfers: Schoolhouse of Wonder offers these transfer options upon written request and in accordance with the following timelines:
- More than 7 days prior to the first day of camp: A $15 administrative fee will be charged per child, per camp transfer. All changes are subject to availability.
- Less than 7 days prior to the first day of camp: We are unable to make any changes or grant transfer requests.
- Please note: If there is a difference in cost between your current registration and the camp you wish to transfer into, we will issue a dollar-for-dollar credit for the difference (if the new camp has a lower rate), or require payment of the balance in full (if the new camp has a higher rate) at the time of transfer. All dollar-for-dollar credits expire at the end of the current calendar year, regardless of the date granted.
- Discounts: Most programs are eligible for a discount when you register for two or more programs for the same child or siblings in the same household in the same order. You will automatically receive a $50 sibling discount when two siblings are registered for full-week camps in the same order and/or a $15 discount off the cost of any additional program. It is possible to receive both of these discounts in the same order, but it is not possible to receive both of these discounts on the same camp. Please note that some programs are exempt from this offer.
Times, Drop-Off and Pick-Up
- Program Times: Unless noted, camps begin at 9:00 am. Depending on the camp season and the age of the camper, pick up time is either from 3:00 – 3:30 pm or 5:00 – 5:30 pm. For camps ending at 3:00 pm, optional Aftercare can be purchased to extend supervised activities until 5:00 pm.
- Drop-Off: Morning drop-off is scheduled from 8:15–9:00am for all camps. Campers must be signed in with Schoolhouse staff upon arrival.
- Pick-Up: Unless noted, afternoon pick-up is scheduled for 3:00pm – 3:30pm or 5:00–5:30pm.
- Late Charges: By continuing, you agree to pay Schoolhouse of Wonder a late pick-up charge of $5.00 for each 10 minutes after 3:30 pm or 5:30 pm respectively.
- Early pick-up option: For 5-12 year old camps, 8-12 year old camps, and Discovery Days, an early pick-up option if available from 3:00–3:30 pm. During Drop-Off, please specify which, if any, days you wish to pick your child/children up at 3:00pm. In order to maintain proper ratios and ensure the safety of the camp groups, Schoolhouse staff are not able to escort your child/children to the shelter for an early pick-up. If for any reason you need to pick up your child at a time outside of the designated pick up times, please call the office for Durham camps or the field phone for Orange and Wake camps and a staff member will direct you to where you can meet them in the park.
- Carpooling Permission: Many families find it convenient to carpool with friends and neighbors. Please update your pick up permissions in your electronic record or send Schoolhouse an email if you expect your child to be picked up by someone other than the parent(s) listed on the registration form. Absent extenuating circumstances, Schoolhouse cannot accept permission by phone.
Medical Treatment Policies
- Authorization for Emergency Medical Care: Should an accident or emergency occur that requires my child to receive medical care, I request and authorize Schoolhouse staff to administer first aid, contact my child’s physician or dentist, and/or take my child to a physician or hospital for emergency treatment, or engage EMS in the event it appears necessary. I give my permission for Schoolhouse to transmit and disclose my child’s medical information to the treating medical personnel. I hereby give to any physician, dentist, hospital, or other health care provider consent to perform any x-ray, examination, anesthetic, medical or surgical diagnosis or treatment, under the general or special supervision of any licensed physician or dentist. I agree that I will be financially responsible for the costs of such treatment and transportation.
- Accident and Health Insurance: Participants are responsible for their own accident and health insurance when participating in Schoolhouse on-site or off-site programs.
- Sunscreen and Insect Repellent: I agree to apply sunscreen and insect repellent prior to my child arriving at Schoolhouse, and to send additional sunscreen and insect repellent to Schoolhouse with my child each day. I hereby give permission for Schoolhouse staff to supervise and assist my child to re-apply his or her own sunscreen and insect repellent before water time and/or as needed throughout the day. If you’d like to opt out of sunscreen and/or insect repellent, please provide written permission.
- Medication: Schoolhouse employees may only administer medication to a camper with written authorization from you (a parent or guardian).
- Campers are not allowed to deliver medications. Please register all medications, prescription and nonprescription, directly with a counselor during check-in. Similarly, a parent or guardian must pick up any remaining medication at the end of the program or Schoolhouse will dispose of it appropriately.
- We will only check in the exact number of doses the camper will receive during the camp program.
- Prescription medications must be in the original container bearing a pharmacy prescription label that displays:
- Patient name,
- Prescribing physician name,
- Appropriate prescription numbers, and
- Dosage instructions
- At least one dose of medication must be administered at home before any medication can be administered at camp.
- Nonprescription medication must also be provided in the original container that includes directions for use. Medication will only be administered in accordance with the written directions.