At Schoolhouse of Wonder, we love volunteers. In fact, we couldn’t survive with them. Do you want to help dirty, tired, happy kids become kind, curious, confident young people? We very well may have a way for you to do just that. Here’s a list depending on how much time you have to offer.
If you’ve got a couple hours:
- Donate time and skills: Schoolhouse has a long list of needed tasks that range from low-skill to highly specialized and include just about everything in between. Give us a call to determine the best use of your unique (or not-so-unique) set of skills.
- Volunteer at a Schoolhouse event: Several times each year, Schoolhouse participates in community events to help spread the word about our mission and programs.
- Volunteering to represent Schoolhouse at an informational table during a community event: A brief training is required to ensure that our volunteers have all of the information they need.
- Take photographs: Outdoor Camps and Field Trips lend themselves extremely well to being photographed. Our staff are fully engaged in activities with children, and we often miss great photo opportunities. We’re not looking for the next Ansel Adams; we just need fun shots of kids being kids.
If you’ve got 3 – 4 hours or more each month:
- Serve as a Field Trip Instructor: Volunteer Instructors lead school groups of supervised students through selected Field Trips focused on experiential learning in the outdoors. Topics include Native Ways, Early American Life, Eno Plant Walk, Insects, and Ecosystems. Prerequisite training and shadowing are mandatory. Hours: 8 am – 2 pm any weekday a field trip is scheduled that you are available.
- Serve on the Schoolhouse of Wonder Board of Directors: As a 501 ©(3) nonprofit corporation, Schoolhouse of Wonder is governed by a volunteer board of directors. The board performs essential governance tasks; ensures that Schoolhouse operates in accordance with its mission and within legal, financial, and ethical standards; and serves as ambassadors to the community. We are continuing to grow our board and are currently seeking members with skills and experience in elementary education/programming, fundraising/development, human resources, and marketing/communications. Board members are expected to attend monthly board meetings and working sub-committee meetings as needed. Although a financial contribution is expected, more important is a willingness to take an active role in developing the organization through the donation of time, skills, and energy.
If you see an area of skill/interest, please complete our Volunteer Application and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that some volunteer opportunities will require a background check. Contact us to explore our volunteer opportunities and how you can share your gifts with our community of campers!