We know you probably have some questions about Schoolhouse and how things run in our Wake County programs. We’ve compiled the most frequently asked questions (and their answers) here, but — as always — please feel free to call us at 919-477-2116 or email us at email@example.com.
Every Schoolhouse camp provides a unique environment of kindness, respect, and learning. Our camps have different themes each season, but they are all inspired by our underlying values. Our award-winning camps offer a low camper to staff ratio that allows a sense of freedom while providing a safe and nurturing environment.
Oh, and by day’s end, we’ll return your kids dirty, happy and tired. Guaranteed.
Wake County FAQ
- Where are Wake camps held?
- How will you keep my child safe while they are in your care?
- How much do Schoolhouse of Wonder camps cost?
- Do you offer any discounts?
- What are the hours of Schoolhouse of Wonder camps?
- What activities will my child participate in at Schoolhouse of Wonder?
- How do I prepare my kid for camp?
- What are the camp facilities?
- Are there scholarships available?
- The camp I am interested in is already full; is it worth joining the waitlist?
- How does the Dirty, Tired, Happy Guarantee work?
- How do I add aftercare if I’ve already signed up for a camp?
Wake summer camps are held in Umstead State Park. Drop Off and Pick Up will occur at the Reedy Creek entrance (2100 N. Harrison Ave, Cary, NC 27513) On I-40, travel 11 miles west of Raleigh, take the Harrison Avenue exit (Exit 287), and travel northeast into the park. Look for the Schoolhouse of Wonder sign, and our staff will greet you there.
We do offer some Track-Out camps at Harris Lake County Park. Harris Lake is located at 2112 County Park Dr, New Hill, NC 27562.
Physical and emotional safety is always our first priority. We maintain safety in our camp community through:
- Year-round safety training
- Low camper to staff ratios
- Constant vigilance
- Hiring and maintaining an outstanding staff of responsible, caring, adult mentors
Camp prices vary slightly depending on a number of factors, but generally follow this pattern:
- One-Day Discovery Days – $84
- Intersession camps for 5-12 year olds – $424
- Summer camps for 5-7 year olds – $324
- Aftercare for 5-7 year olds – $100
- Summer camps for 8-12 year olds – $424
Yes! Most programs are eligible for a discount when you register for two or more programs for the same child or siblings in the same household in the same order. We understand that it can get a little complicated when you’re adding different camps for different children. The good news is that the discounts automatically apply, so you don’t need to get too into the math side of things. Please note that discounts only apply to camps that are included in the same order.
- Multi-camp: Did you add a camp to your cart? Did you add another? You will automatically receive a $15 discount off the cost of a second and any additional camp seat purchased in the same order (that don’t qualify for the sibling discount). This could apply to one child signing up for several camps, siblings signing up for partial-week camps or Discovery Days, or many other combinations. This discount can apply to full-week camps, partial-week camps, and Discovery Days.
- Sibling: We love having siblings in camp! When you sign up one child for a full-week of camp (a “qualifier week”), you’ll receive a $25 discount for one full-week of camp for each sibling. If you’re signing up your 8 children for two weeks, you’ll have one qualifier week which will earn the 7 other siblings a week of sibling discounts, and you’ll have a second qualifier week which will earn the 7 siblings a second week of sibling discounts. This discount applies to full weeks of camp only (5 days).
Please note that it is possible to receive both of these discounts on the same order, though it is not possible to receive both of these discounts on the same camp. Here are some examples of how this works.
Track-Out Camps and Summer Camps for 8-12 year olds
- Camp Week: Monday through Friday 9:00a to 5:00p.
- Check In: 8:15a to 9:00a.
- Pick Up: 5:00p to 5:30p.
- Alternative Early Pick Up: 3:00p to 3:30p (advance notice required)
- Family Circle: Last day of camp at 4:45p. You’re invited to bring a snack to share, meet staff, and peruse our Camp Store where you can find Schoolhouse t-shirts, steel striker kits, water bottles, buttons, necklaces and more.
Summer Camps for 5-7 years olds
- Camp Week: Monday through Friday 9:00a to 3:00p.
- Check In: 8:15a to 9:00a.
- Pick Up: 3:00p to 3:30p.
- Aftercare Pick Up: 5:00 to 5:30p
- Family Circle: Last day of camp at 2:45p. You’re invited to bring a snack to share, meet staff, and peruse our Camp Store where you can find Schoolhouse t-shirts, steel striker kits, water bottles, buttons, necklaces and more.
Our camp themes change from season to season, so a new adventure will always be on the horizon. We do, however, utilize a number of core routines to ground our program and give our kids a sense of familiarity.
- Opening and closing circles to promote community building and respect
- Nature investigation and exploration
- Games including Schoolhouse originals as well as some you may recognize from your childhood
- Storytelling including traditional tales and true stories
- Song time
- Water time in creeks or rivers
- Hikes, wanders, and rambles through the woods
At Schoolhouse of Wonder, we spend every possible moment out in the world. We do, however, have access to shelter in the case of dangerous weather or temperatures.
We understand that the cost of camp is a barrier for some families. Each year we partner with individuals, businesses, and community organizations to make scholarship funds available to as many families as possible. Scholarships are available for both campers and CITs. Please read more about our scholarship program here.
We strongly encourage joining the waitlist. It isn’t unusual for camp seats to become available. We are also able to schedule additional staff and run additional groups in some instances when we know that there is interest far enough in advance.
If for ANY reason your child decides that camp is not for them and chooses to leave camp before the end of the week, we’ll refund camp tuition for the remaining days. Guaranteed.