If you’ve got some questions about our Orange County programs, read through our Orange County FAQs and hopefully find your answer!
Every Schoolhouse camp provides a unique environment of kindness, respect, and learning. Our camps have different themes each season, but they are all inspired by our underlying values. Our award winning camps offer a low staff to camper ratio that allows a sense of freedom while providing a safe and nurturing environment.
Oh, and by day’s end, we’ll return your kids dirty, happy and tired. Guaranteed.
Orange County FAQ
- Where are Orange summer camps held?
- How will you keep my child safe while they are in your care?
- How much do Schoolhouse of Wonder camps cost?
- Do you offer any discounts?
- What are the hours of Schoolhouse of Wonder camps?
- What activities will my child participate in at Schoolhouse of Wonder?
- How do I prepare my kid for camp?
- What are the camp facilities?
- Are there scholarships available?
- The camp I am interested in is already full; is it worth joining the waitlist?
- How does the Dirty, Tired, Happy Guarantee work?
- How do I add aftercare if I’ve already signed up for a camp?
Orange summer camps are held in Brumley Forest Nature Preserve through an exciting new partnership with Triangle Land Conservancy. Drop Off and Pick Up will occur at the private drive at 3223 New Hope Church Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27514. Look for the Schoolhouse of Wonder sign and our staff will greet you in the parking area.
Physical and emotional safety is always our priority. We maintain safety in our camp community through:
- Year-round safety training
- Low camper to staff ratios
- Constant vigilance
- Hiring and maintaining an outstanding staff of responsible, caring, adult mentors.
Additional safety measures pertaining to COVID-19 can be found here.
Camp prices vary slightly depending on a number of factors, but generally follow this pattern:
- Summer camps for 5-7 year olds – $324
- Aftercare for 5-7 year olds – $100
- Summer camps for 8-12 year olds – $424
Yes! Most programs are eligible for a discount when you register for two or more programs for the same child or siblings in the same household in the same order. We understand that it can get a little complicated when you’re adding different camps for different children. The good news is that the discounts automatically apply, so you don’t need to get too into the math side of things. Please note that discounts only apply to camps that are included in the same order.
- Multi-camp: Did you add a camp to your cart? Did you add another? You will automatically receive a $15 discount off the cost of a second and any additional camp seat purchased in the same order (that don’t qualify for the sibling discount). This could apply to one child signing up for several camps, siblings signing up for partial-week camps or Discovery Days, or many other combinations. This discount can apply to full-week camps, partial-week camps, and Discovery Days.
- Sibling: We love having siblings in camp! When you sign up one child for a full-week of camp (a “qualifier week”), you’ll receive a $50 discount for one full-week of camp for each sibling. If you’re signing up your 8 children for two weeks, you’ll have one qualifier week which will earn the 7 other siblings a week of sibling discounts, and you’ll have a second qualifier week which will earn the 7 siblings a second week of sibling discounts. This discount applies to full weeks of camp only (5 days).
Please note that it is possible to receive both of these discounts on the same order, though it is not possible to receive both of these discounts on the same camp. Here are some examples of how this works.
School Break Camps and Summer Camps for 8-12 year olds
- Camp Week: Monday through Friday 9:00a to 5:00p.
- Check In: 8:15a to 9:00a.
- Pick Up: 5:00p to 5:30p.
- Alternative Early Pick Up: 3:00 to 3:30p (advance notice required)
Summer Camps for 5-7 years olds
- Camp Week: Monday through Friday 9:00a to 3:00p.
- Check In: 8:15a to 9:00a.
- Pick Up: 3:00p to 3:30p.
- Aftercare Pick Up: 5:00 to 5:30p
Our camp themes change from season to season, so a new adventure will always be on the horizon. We do, however, utilize a number of core routines to ground our program and give our kids a sense of familiarity.
- Opening and closing circles to promote community building and respect
- Nature investigation and exploration
- Games including Schoolhouse originals as well as some you may recognize from your childhood
- Storytelling including traditional tales and true stories
- Song time
- Water time in creeks or rivers
- Hikes, wanders, and rambles through the woods
At Schoolhouse of Wonder, we spend every possible moment out in the world. We do, however, have access to temporary shelter in the case of dangerous weather or temperatures.
We understand that the cost of camp is a barrier for some families. Each year we partner with individuals, businesses, and community organizations to make scholarship funds available to as many families as possible. Please read more about our scholarship program here.
We strongly encourage joining the waitlist. It isn’t unusual for camp seats to become available. We are also able to schedule additional staff and run additional groups in some instances when we know that there is interest far enough in advance.
If for ANY reason your child decides that camp is not for them and chooses to leave camp before the end of the week, we’ll refund camp tuition for the remaining days. Guaranteed.
It’s easy! Simply click the link below, select the child you’d like to sign up for aftercare, select the corresponding camp, and add it to your cart. You’ll need to be logged into your account to add aftercare to already purchased orders.
This link will take you to that page or to sign into your account: https://info.schoolhouseofwonder.org/Register/aftercareaddon
If you haven’t finished checking out your order, the easiest way to add aftercare is to return the camp’s specific page and re-add your child with aftercare, and then remove the camp without aftercare from your cart.